Divorce And Family Matters
Few events in life have the potential to be as stressful, draining, acrimonious, and challenging (both emotional and financially) as a divorce. Because of this divorcing or separating partners will often instruct solicitors to bring experienced, practical and specialist advice, knowledge and experience to the process.
A good divorce solicitor should ensure that the following comes out of a family breakdown:-
- a fair settlement
- a swift and amicable resolution
- the protection of your interests and those of any children involved
- a clear understanding of the law and legal process
Unfortunately, occasionally this is not the case and the result can be that the process is more acrimonious, stressful and draining and may leave you carrying an unfair financial burden.
If this is the case, you do have some form of redress in that you may be able to bring a claim for professional negligence against the solicitor.
Examples of the issues that we regularly see in family matters are as follows:-
- Poor advice as to pensions (particularly where there are Forces pensions involved)
- Procedural issues such as important dates being missed
- Failure to investigate or have consideration of all of the assets resulting in an under settlement
- Matters being concluded on a clean break basis when they should not have been or vice versa.